March 2018 will be remembered as the month of the Facebook and Cambridge Analytica scandal; it is believed that Facebook shared the data of over 80 million people, which has then been improperly harvested and used by Cambridge Analytica to target American and British voters during the 2016 US elections and EU referendum, according to some sources.
It has also been an exciting month for the SQL Server community though: we have seen the announcement of the Azure SQL Database Managed Instance, which is in preview since the 9th of March. This is a new deployment option in Microsoft Azure that will allow you to migrate your existing SQL Instance to the cloud or create a new one as a fully-managed SQL DB Engine service https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-managed-instance.
Several Windows updates and a new CU for SQL Server 2017, 2016 and 2012 were also released last month. See more details below:
SQL Server Updates:
- 4092643 Cumulative update 5 (CU5) for SQL Server 2017 (Linux support) – March 20 2018
- 4077064 Cumulative update 8 (CU8) for SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 1 – March 19 2018
- 4077063 Cumulative update package 11 (CU11) for SQL Server 2014 Service Pack 2 – March 19 2018
Surprisingly, no Critical updates for Windows were released on March 2018. However, many critical updates have been released for Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. You can find the full list of critical and non-critical updates in the Security Tech Centre.
- Facebook and Cambridge Analytica data leak – What’s happened so far and all you need to know https://thehackernews.com/2018/03/facebook-cambridge-analytica.htm - March 19, 2018
- See how the data leak has affected Facebook and influenced investors https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/03/19/facebook-plunges-30bn-value-cambridge-analytica-row/ - March 19, 2018
- Russian hackers are attacking U.S power grid and aviation, the FBI claims https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-15/russian-hackers-attacking-u-s-power-grid-aviation-fbi-warns – March 16, 2018
- The leader of a hacking group has been arrested in Spain https://thehackernews.com/2018/03/carbanak-russian-hacker.html - March 26, 2018
- See how the ethical hacker got rich helping Yahoo and Google discovering security vulnerabilities https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/03/03/bought-house-hacking-meet-ethical-hackers-getting-rich-keyboards/ - March 3, 2018